Is Poker becoming too mainstream?

The more televised poker there is, the larger the audience grows, but is this making poker too mainstream? In 2023, there was a significant surge in individuals joining the poker community, ranging from social media influencers to renowned chess players such as Magnus Carlsen and Alex Botez. Notably, GG Poker even organized a poker reality show named ‘Game of Gold,’ featured on YouTube. The question arises: does this trend exert a positive or negative influence on the game, arguably considered a sport? Personally, I believe it’s a positive development. The more, the merrier.

2 Likes

Good question! I think I agree with your conclusion, more the merrier. Increased competition is usually a input valve for a better overall product. You really have to be top tier to stand out.

1 Like

I’ve played poker for 15 years or so and I think poker reached peak TV exposure around 2005-2006. You could argue it was a bit overexposed at that point. I doubt it will ever reach quite that level again but that’s fine.

I think the best thing about poker is that it’s a pretty accessible game. People from all walks of life enjoy it and the luck aspect of it gives beginners a chance.

The worst thing about poker is any sort of gate keeping. Poker should be for everyone but I think it’s indimidating for new players because they think they are gonna be read like a book (a lot trickier than people think) and look like a fool.

If they want poker to grow they just need to focus on things that make it accessible. Magnus Carlsen and Alex Botez are good in that respect. The more the merrier for sure.

2 Likes

While I am not a huge poker follower, I have been enjoying watching the Magnus journey. Guys got such a persona attached to him now. Love it.

1 Like

It’s gotta be painful for someone like Magnus (who’s known for playing a perfect information game) to get slapped by the deck in poker.

Love to see him playing though.

1 Like

That’s the thing about poker, you can be extremely talented but still get beat down by the deck. Especially in the large tournaments that celebrity players tend to play.

2 Likes